Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Light web 1, 2005
I have been photographing porcelain and light over the past six years, since moving to set up a studio in the New South Wales southern highlands. The atmospheric clarity of low pollution and altitude, the constant sweep of winds across the uplands, and the dramatically seasonal shifts in height and angle of sun have kept me looking and experimenting. . Glazes, inlays, engravings all interact with the time of day. I seek out light in the middle of the day, unlike in the tropics of home town where I sought deep shade. The work in the previous post is There remains one thread, 2007 - a small porcelain bowl with inlaid lines of bone china. After firing, the net of coloured inlays ridges above the surface of the white porcelain. I've been working on this material effect over the past eight years.
more here